If I had to choose one part of the writing process as my absolute favorite, it would be characterization. Creating characters is one of my favorite things to do. The way they come to life with their own personalities and backstories is truly magical!
That being said, sometimes it’s hard to get into the mind of a character. That’s why I love doing character interviews! Asking all these questions really helps you understand your character on a deeper level. So I’ve found lots of character interview questions and picked out the most interesting ones. Some of these questions are so interesting that I’m going to interview Ann in a later blog post!
p.s. – I don’t take any credit for these questions, I just wanted to pull some of my favorite questions from these blog posts. If you want more questions, I highly recommend checking out the links below the questions.
Character Interview Questions
- What was your childhood nickname? Why were you called this?
- Do you believe in true love?
- What is on your nightstand right now?
- Who is the person that you respect the most and why?
- What is your most treasured memory? Why?
- Are you generally a messy or organized person?
- If you had a YouTube channel, what would it be called and what would you make videos about?
- What does the perfect life look like to you?
- Are you right or left-handed?
- If you could go back in time to one day, what day would it be and why?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What is one strong memory that has stuck with you since childhood?
- Where would you like to live?
- What is your greatest fear?
- Do you have any pets?
- If you could cure one disease, which one would it be?
- If you had Instagram, what would your username be?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is the one thing you’d like to be remembered for after you die?
- What three words best describes your personality?
- What is your motto in life?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world for a vacation, where would you go?
- What is your most treasured item?
- Did you enjoy school? Why or why not?
- What is your middle name? Do you like it? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer the vanilla or cinnamon scent?
- What is your deepest social insecurity?
- What is something you want to accomplish in your lifetime?
- Do you have any bad habits you’re trying to break?
- If you died tomorrow, what is something you would regret not doing?
If you end up using these questions to interview your own characters, please let me know! I’d love to see them!
If you enjoyed this blog post and want to see more of my tips, my books, or me, sign up for my newsletter below so you won’t miss a thing! Follow me on Instagram for extra writing tips, Pinterest for blog links, and Facebook. Have a wonderful week!
This link has a great character interview sheet!
Get to Know Your Characters With Character Interviews: 115 Questions
Writing Character Development: 45 Questions to Ask Your Characters
37 Questions to Ask Your Character
2 thoughts on “30 Character Interview Questions”
Ooh! Thank you so much! I have started interviewing my character Joseph Ricci with the list. He’s very quiet towards me, but this got him talking a bit more 😁. I’ll have to try it out on my other characters!
Thank you so much for the list! I’ve started interviewing my character Joseph Ricci with it. He’s pretty quiet towards me, but this helped open him up a bit. I can’t wait to try it out on my other characters. Thanks again!
Comments are closed.